Sunday 15 February 2009

Wanting to go back soon...

Dehillerin is a national Parisian treasure and not one for the faint hearted. As a tourist you can very easily receive a sharp tongue, as a local, a furrowed brow, however if you show any form of cuisine professionalism and knowledge of the relevant equipment you are welcomed with a smile and open arms. I do therefore question why they have their door open to the public - perhaps a naughty game they like to play?
I have a healthy obsession with cooking and cookery shops and this very often extends to foreign supermarkets and food shops (there are worst obsessions I promise you!). So when I happened upon this wonderful establishment on my last trip to Paris, it was surprisingly by pure fate rather than detailed planning. It definitely didn't look as sharp as the image above, at first I thought it was shut - the windows were covered with cardboard and dusted with a fine layer of Parisian debris and grime as if someone had "sprinkled liberally" to give the finishing touches to the ultimate cook shop recipe.


Entering the grime coated doors I found I was in heaven - gleaming copper, paring knives that sat comfortably in the palm of your hand, roasting trays crying out for a wonderful of ribbed beef, baking tins to make any cook quiver with excitement and untold ranges of saucepans I would have given my left arm for (not my right mind you, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use them!). No wonder I sigh contently every time I think of this magical place.

No comments: