Tuesday 24 March 2009

War is declared in Duntshill Road

This little beastie has returned - the Chrysolina Americana as it is known in horticultural circles, or more commonly The Rosemary Beetle, is not a welcome guest in our garden. Our small patch brims with green hedges, white roses, herbs and lavenders and it is the rosemary and lavender bushes that this little chap delights in. They are not new to the UK the Royal Horticultural Society reported them first in 1994. However they first visited us two years ago, and now every year I am on beetle watch starting in early spring through to the summer and to my horror this morning I spotted the first of our yearly visitors. Although they look lovely with their dark green and red stripes they unfortunately strip the lavender and rosemary and can eat an amazing amount of just one bush in one day! So beware, if you have these plants in your garden go now and check them - and believe me don't feel cruel.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Thanks a lot for this information.
Yesterday morning I found this little lovely beast in my garden and he was on a leaf of hibiscus.
Under the hibiscus, I planted lavenders. So I have to take care of my lavender.

Lovely greeting from Holland
Mimi

Julia Gavin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RedFish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.